Ingredients(makes 8 small naan breads)
375g/13oz plain white flour
¾ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp salt
200ml/7fl oz full-fat milk
1 free-range egg, beaten (you will only need half the egg)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the naan bread, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar and half the beaten egg, then add this to the flour mixture and knead lightly until it comes together to make a soft dough (take care not to overwork the dough).
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- To cook the naan breads, pour the oil over the rested naan dough and turn it a few times so it is evenly coated.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll out each one on a lightly oiled surface into a circle about 9cm/3½in in diameter.
- Gently stretch out the circles of dough to form the traditional teardrop shape, or, alternatively, roll them into 10cm/4in circles.
- Place the naan breads on the preheated baking tray and bake for 4–5 minutes, or until they are starting to brown on both sides.
- You might need to turn the bread to make sure it colours on both sides.