Caster sugar 225g
Self-raising flour 225g
Baking powder 2 teaspoon
Unsalted butter at room temperature 225g
Strawberry or raspberry jam
Whipped double cream
|Victoria Sponge Cake|
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan.
- Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins. Use a piece of baking paper to rub a little butter around the inside of the tins until the sides and base are lightly coated, then line the bottom with a circle of baking paper.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add sugar, flour, baking powder and butter.
- Mix together until well combined with an electric hand mixer (you can also use a wooden spoon), but be careful not to over mix. The finished mixture should fall off a spoon easily.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins.
- Bake the cakes on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes. Check them after 20 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of jam.
- If you want to, you can spread over whipped cream too.
- Top with the second cake, top-side up.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar.